is an "urban village" within the city of Phoenix in Maricopa County, Arizona, United States, situated eight miles (13 km) southwest of Downtown Phoenix between South Mountain and the confluence of the Gila and Salt rivers.
Parts of Laveen constitute an unincorporated community in Maricopa County, while the remainder falls within the city limits of Phoenix, constituting the city's "Laveen Village".
Laveen women formed a chapter in 1947, and by 1949 the group was organized statewide.
In 1956 alone the Laveen Cowbelles affixed 138,000 stickers reading "Beef for Father's Day" to envelopes mailed by various banks and businesses, and in 1959, the statewide group had then-Governor Paul Fannin proclaim "Beef for Father's Day." In 1960, the non-profits and churches in Laveen formed the Laveen Community Council (LCC), which took over the barbecue and began channeling most of the proceeds to pay for lights on the baseball fields at Laveen School, although donations to the March of Dimes continued into the 1970s.
Cheatham and his wife, Lula, were from Duncan, Arizona, where they had owned a dairy.
They sold the store after running it for a few years and used the proceeds to set up separate farms.
However, on February 26, 1952, the court reversed itself, ruling that ground water should be limited to "reasonable" use but still fell under the ownership of landowners.
through April 1939 various attempts by churches to set up a Sunday School in Laveen had failed.
Shelton's farm was on the original 40 acres (160,000 m) of land south of Baseline Road, between 43rd and 51st Avenues.
While constructing the dairy the Cheathams had to clear the site of mesquite and rattlesnakes.